Thursday, October 13, 2011

[CE] Philippines reels in second typhoons wake

First, let me say that I hate doing current event posts. Least favorite.

Philippines reels in second typhoons wake

Reading things like this makes me upset. Things that happen in the Philippines. Or just anywhere in general, but I can relate to this more. In the article it stated that rescue workers were struggling to evacuate tens of thousands of people trapped in their homes from floods from the aftermath of Typhoon Nalgae. Public buildings including churches, schools and offices were used to accommodate people seeking higher ground. But some residents were hesitant to leave their homes, fearing looting.

This actually effects me a lot more than it should because those are my people. Many people dont know that I'm 75% Filipino and that a lot of my family resides in the Philippines. I've been their many times and have lived the way they lived. It's scary to know that I know exactly what it would look like there right now, seeing as I've been to the Philippines. I know how run down a lot of the islands are. And that this is happening, it could take all their lives work with it. It could totally destroy everything they have.

I feel people here america do take things for granted. They dont realize how much other countries have to go through. Especially small islands off the coast that get hit by hurricanes and typhoons. We dont experience that here, but if that happened to us, it would be completely devastating.

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of sympathy for the Philippines at this point. There are so many horrendous things that are happening there. Their people are forced to deteriorate their environment and work for inadequate wages or starve. I'm angry, and I would like someone to blame, but the fact is that the rest of Asia has developed a dependence upon Filipino goods so there is way too many people to blame now.
    >:/

    ReplyDelete